Encountereds. I came, I saw, I commented.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Gichin Funakoshi - Karate-do Kyohan (1)

This is a wonderful and concise introduction to all mayor aspects of karate, from the basics and kata to free sparring. What I found most fascinating - besides the insightfully detailed kata descriptions - was how meaningful those detailed notes become when you don't read them as descriptions or recipes, but as commentaries on something you already know - or, even more interesting, know in a similar shape. Since I've been studying all the Kata's in their Wado form, Funakoshi's reasoning is most intriguing where he describes the rationale for doing something different from how we do it. The dialectics of form become apparent, the fact that one needs to be restricted, to see the unfoundedness of that restriction, and thus overcome it. Which makes me realize that Hegel was a very eastern kind of Swabe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home