Encountereds. I came, I saw, I commented.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Chan-wook Park - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (1)

A nice coincidence that this movie would be the next on our Netflix-list after Dirty Harry - this is the movie Dirty Harry should have been (of course that's somewhat unfair, considering the time gap, but would Harry want me to be fair? There). Where Eastwoods cop sets out to right wrongs in a very private moral (or lack-of-moral) code, this movie unfolds as a giant tragedy, where we can have empathy with everybody, even as they do things that are wrong to begin with, and turn out even worse. "I know you're a good guy" says the vengeful industrialist in the climactic scene, "so you'll understand why I have to kill you". So do we, caught in the same violent logic, and as unable to escape it as any of the characters. Terrific and terrifying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home